'New year, new beginnings', isn't that what they say? How about starting the new year with a look at our own consumption and how we can reduce waste on a daily, weekly and yearly basis?
In 2009/10 each household in England produced an average of 1,036kg of rubbish, of which 411kg - or 39.7% - was recycled, reused or composted. Almost 40% isn't bad, but what about the other 60%, could more be salvaged from the landfill?
There are many ways that you and I can help the environment, and the below are just some ideas to help you have a less wasted 2011.
A lot of household waste comes from packaging: plastic film, pizza boxes, milk cartons, glass jars and so on. It might not be convenient all the time but use reusable containers when you go shopping. Need meat? Head to your local butcher with reusable containers, and ask him to put the meat directly into these. Not only will you reduce waste from excess packaging, your freshly bought products will be ready to go into your freezer!
Some 13billion plastic carrier bags are used in Britain each year, so do your bit and Invest in a couple of solid reusable shopping bags to carry your groceries in. Not only will they make Mother Nature happier but are also much comfier for carrying heavy items.
Plan a massive spring clean of your life. That unworn dress you bought for when you finally slimmed down or the porcelain figurine from your old aunt, which is still in its box in the back of your wardrobe... Someone else might have better use of them, so find some jute bags and head to a charity shop near you with donations - they're always welcome!
Alternatively, use services like Freecycle. Find your local group and list any unwanted items. You never know who might be needing that old chair.
Only by refills of your most used items. If you switch brands, only buy a refill pack and keep on use the old bottle/jar.
What are your best tips for reducing your household waste?
Photo of Reuse bag by Juliette McCawley via Shanghaiist.com